Tuesday, April 08, 2008

I am walking...

i am walking in the Atlanta 3 Day Walk to raise money for a cure for breast cancer- not big news to my readers but that's what i've been working on a lot lately so i thought i would experiment with my blog and see if any of the people that pass thru here have a story to share about cancer and how it's effected their life.

mom had cancer when i was in the 4th grade. obviously she survived but not without a lot of personal trial. my memories of it all are simple because my parents wanted us to not be worried. looking back as a mom now i assume she was going thru the whole "will i survive and get to raise my kids?!" thing. not easy or simple.

she was in the hospital while my grandparents stayed with me and tony. then she came home with a huge scar on her upper thigh from a skin graft. dad had to tend to it every night and i would painfully watch. the skin was grafted onto a 5 x 5 spot they dug out of her leg where a malignant mole was removed. crazy to say but she was blessed. she was able to catch the melanoma before it spread.

her dad died just shortly after he heard the news he had cancer. he was in his 40's. her mom (mauma) just died of ovarian cancer. i really don't like how cancer has just barged in to our family and sometimes i get a little freaked out because i am of those obvious vulnerable genes.


however, i didn't agree to walk because of all that. i am walking because, well, this is where God has me right now. in this spot, raising money with these people for this awesome cause. next year i hope i might get to be placed here again, but He may have me somewhere else. and that's good too. i am blessed to have a chance to be a part of this effort. i realize there are sooo many efforts out there that are worthy. if you are being pulled and have this on your heart, you can help us reach our goal by clicking on the upper right hand part of the screen.

thanks and pray for a cure! i am curious to see how cancer has effected any of you. let me know if you have a minute. thanks.

3 comments:

Julie Young said...

I didn't know that your mom had had cancer. Good luck with the walk! That is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

Both my grandfathers died of cancer. it's not fair and i hope God's plan is to enable people through money raised from your walk to find a cure for this horrible disease. good luck! love you.

Melodie S. said...

Both my step-parents have survived cancer. My step-mom had breast cancer and David had prostate cancer. He never announced it at church, he is pretty private about such things. I am so thankful they both are doing very well now. I certainly plan to make a monetary donation, but I would also like to help in any other way. If you decide to have a fund raiser (i.e. yard sale or bake sale) just let me know and I will be more than happy to help.

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers