Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Joe Riley




The middle child. The keeper of my sanity and destroyer of it, all rolled up in a curly headed, snaggle toothed boy. This child is generated by people and when exposed- turns into a burst of energy that can either light up a room or run everyone out of it. It has been eleven years of joy having him in my life.

Tonight at prayer-time we settled into an interesting conversation about each child's spiritual gifts. We decided Gates is the helper, Sadie, compassion and when i dropped the bomb on Riley that i felt his gift was hospitality (making people feel at home around him) i was worried he may feel unsure, like it was a "girl" gift. Instead, he cranked up the butler routine and began inviting us all to his room in a British accent. He is a character so often that sometimes I wonder what's really going on in his floppy haired head of his.

I had to post about my Joe Riley- judging by the 19 month difference he and his brother have- i realize that my time is ticking having a son that will still throw his arms around his mom and smack a kiss on her cheek. Maybe he won't loose that spark in him but i know soon he will be too cool for that. My heart did sink a bit when I brought him lunch for his birthday at school and he told me i didn't have to stay...

Thinking about how this whole weekend revolved around him- the two day birthday celebration and then the band concert, it was easy to see my child was full. I enjoyed his spirit and wish i could keep him this high on life all the time- he's really is fun to be around. Always ready with a joke, noticing small things and asking deep questions- in some ways beyond his years and in others i pray for his maturity. How can that be? I guess it's the nature of a tween. God bless him and us as we enter another decade of Riley. My heart.




No comments:

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers