Friday, November 23, 2007

...like walking in the rain and the snow...

i spent all day yesterday and the day before preparing for Thanksgiving. we attend two, and they were not at my house- but i was going to be so prepared so i cooked feverishly (well, for me)

yesterday around 4:30 we are coats on, car packed, side dishes hot and off to Iron City, Tennessee to grandmothers house we go... three hours later, back in the car on the way home, first thing my kids say when they get home ..."i am hungry, what have we got to eat?"

are you kidding me? two days?!! my life has been focused and centered around food, menu's, are there enough vegetables? what about the rolls? does everybody like tea, maybe i should buy sprite for the kids...

today it was the exact same scenario. we were in the house three minutes. "Hey mom, i am hungry, what can i eat?"

maybe it is because i look at their plate during the meal and all they have eaten is one bite of turkey, one bite of pink stuff and 3 ears of corn. (we know what corn is worth to our system).

Sadie is on her third peanut butter spoon. Happy Thanksgiving.

I, on the other hand, woke up at 3:40am this morning from a turkey induced slumber with the black Friday fever theme song playing in my head. ("The Things we do for Love", 10CC). The motivation of thinking i really was in some sort of pretend drama kept me going while i hummed the tune and slid on some warm clothes and headed out.

I am a secret after Thanksgiving shopper lover.

I really didn't get any true bargain unless you count the free mickey mouse 2007 snow globe JCPenny's gave me when i walked in at 4:12am. i was most impressed with my line standing strategy i pulled off this year. i managed to stand less than 10 minutes in any line (i shopped at 6 different locations) i think i may be getting good at something, finally.

8 comments:

LucisMomma said...

you made me laugh!

and you are good at about one million different things, when I have some time I will make you a list....

susan

Anonymous said...

i didn't know you went shopping?? I would have ventured out with you if I had known. I'm very impressed with the ten minute line waiting. i need to know your secret. love you.

Jim said...

Yeah - ours eats one bite on her plate at dinner, and an hour later, "I'm starving!"

And you'll definitely have to share your line secret with us.

Julie Young said...

Hey go easy on the kids...I am always hungry 30 min after each meal also! :)

Gena said...

yeah but you are eating for two. they are eating for 1/4th or something...

Amy F said...

i'm back - i'm commenting b/c i love you.

Gena said...

thank you amy, i love you too.
i am feeling the love from all around now, all of you can rest easy i am getting enough comments.

Kym said...

Hey Gena...I'm posting my comment on this post even though it's intended for your last post. My confession is that I always read your posts and you are always so good at saying exactly what you want to say. I always chew on it with the intention of coming back and posting something really clever, funny, profound, insightful...something...but alas, I usually come up empty handed, or you've already posted and I've missed my chance to awe you with my words of wisdom. Anyway...I always read, always intend to comment, but don't!! I'll try and do better!!
Love you!!! Now go post on my blog and make me feel better because NO-ONE ever comments on mine!!!

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers