Saturday, January 19, 2008

baby it's cold out there

some of my girlfriends have talked me into Facebook. so if any of you have received an invitation from me (or haven't) let me be the first to tell you i don't know what happened when i registered. everybody in my gmail account popped up and there were all these check marks and questions and all these people i am sure would not like to be involved in my life any more than they have to-

i am so afraid i might have asked ron lumpkins to be my friend. not that he wouldn't make an excellent friend. :)

ok so who out there is hot natured? (that's when you prefer to be warmer than colder- right?) it seems we are all one or the other. here's my little realization i had today- bear with me...
in my thankful mode this morning i was pondering what i really liked that i got for Christmas and didn't ask for-

first would have to be my electric blanket. even if it's off, it's warm. i think that may be because it's a blanket but i am still impressed.

second would have to be my monkey socks. i did ask for the monkey house shoes but the socks were a bonus. they now are better than the shoes to me. way to go mark!

next had to be the hair dryer. i didn't ask for this but i did buy it with my Christmas money. it has this cool button you push and it sucks up the cord. apart from the bruises on my hand when it whips around to position- it's the highlight of my day.

and it was then that i realized that the things that made me the most excited this Christmas were things that generated heat. hmmm. let me rephrase that...were things that kept me warm (?)

so i am now realizing my focus is to stay warm. bless my husband who finally broke down and lets me keep the house on a blazing 68 and purchased a heater for our window infested sunroom. i am almost tempted to stay indoors now in order to keep warm.

i realize i would never make it anywhere past north Alabama. i am such a thin skinned pansy i know. but i worry about the weather a lot when i fantasize about the Amazing Race. i know i would get stuck in the "Arctic Edition" and what then?

and then i married the short sleeves in the winter guy in your class that you always wondered if he was cold. as i speak my nose is cold. does anybody have clever ways to stay warm. i can't take this.

10 comments:

LucisMomma said...

You are a hoot. I would be the one turning the temp down, and throwing the blanket off.

Your posts actually make me LOL (hope Krista sees that one).

Jim said...

Ha! I've been there. I spent a lot of my life in a house that was a comfy 65 all year round. But I think you've got the bases covered - socks, slippers, sweatshirts, blankets (but don't forget warm, comfy pajamas).

The only thing I'd add is keep some hot cocoa handy (or some nice peppermint tea, whatever you prefer). It warms up the hands and the insides rather nicely.

Some awesome lines from this post, Gena!

...my electric blanket. even if it's off, it's warm. i think that may be because it's a blanket but i am still impressed.

and

i am such a thin skinned pansy...

Great stuff!

Gena said...

sipping hot choc as i type...good tip my man.

"The Activist" said...

do you have any of those rice bags? you put them in the microwave and wrap them around your neck, etc. you need those. you don't have to worry about the cord of an electric blanket, and you can keep on nuking all day. and just carry the heat with you. if you don't have one, I will have my crafty husband make you some.

i'm such a domestic diva!

Gena said...

got one! i'm on it you dom diva you.

Anonymous said...

this is such a fun blog! i don't have any cool ways (haha) to stay warm. you have any earmuffs???

Kym said...

I feel your pain my friend!! I don't have any creative ways to keep warm, but I can empathizewith you as not only do I hate the cold, I live in a freezing cold house IN INDIANAPOLIS (I think it was 4 degrees last night), AND I also have to go to sleep every night in a wind tunnel!! My husband sleeps with the ceiling fan on AND a box fan on!! It really does make me want to cry sometimes.

Julie Young said...

I got your facebook invite, but my computer blocks facebook so I can't get on. That is funny about temp! LOL!

Gena said...

earmuffs?

krista i may have found a new list we should start:

words that sound funny.

but great idea amy. plus i could muffle the sound of kids fighting and screaming at each other. presto!

LucisMomma said...

hey, check out this post on my blog--you got an award! And you get to pass it on. Be sure to put the picture on your blog, too.

susan
http://add-one-chinese-sister.blogspot.com/2008/01/thank-you-denna.html

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers