Wednesday, February 06, 2008

let me tell you about my mauma

this afternoon my daddy called and told me mauma's gone on. we knew it was impending and hoped it was soon so she could go home. i didn't know how i would react honestly. first i told the kids and we shed a few tears but comforted ourselves with knowing she had a new body now.

then we went for ice cream. as i sat there at sonic i thought this was our small, makeshift celebration for her. she would've had orange sherbert. not surprisingly, i needed time to be alone and think and thank God for her passing and He gets to hold her now, not us anymore. still i feel sorry for me. i miss her right now, suddenly wishing i could take her big blue mesh bag of laundry back out to her and run in for a quick hello.

the last few months she and i shared moments that i will take with me till i meet her again. she's given me wisdom and strength in a gentle way. she was sharp as a tack and loved deeply. she had a big loud mouth and a laugh that would scare you. she loved wearing shirts with bright colors and was a huge harley fan. rarely did she miss the waterloo trail of tears, even from her wheelchair! i never knew if it was the motorcycles or men with long hair that drew her interest. she did love to flirt.

i could go on and on about her love for writing little notes to people all over the place. she knew the value of encouragement. she was a big fan of the group picture with her in the exact center of us all. she was also the churchlady that sings soprano too loudly. but she felt it and sang it not considering whether we liked it or not. her boldness is a strength i keep trying to recreate in me.

i missed some opportunities with her. but i know she was also a fan of understanding and forgiving me. she is the first person i have loved and lost in death. an experience i had to write about so i wouldn't forget the rawness of grief.

her butterfly loving self is feeling the wind in her hair now.

8 comments:

"The Activist" said...

well i have unexpected tears in my eyes as i read this beautiful tribute to her. she was a whole lot of life the few times i met her - and i don't think i'll ever forget the look on her face when she held max not too long ago - i can't really describe it, i just remember it stuck with me. she seemed so happy to hold him.

i am really happy that God's holding her now.

rest in peace mauma - now you can now watch the trail of tears from heaven!

Cortnie said...

awesome words Gena....love you

Julie Young said...

Sorry to hear about your mauma. The post was a nice tribute to her.

LucisMomma said...

Gena, that is a really lovely tribute to your grandmother. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Our family thinks you are awesome!

Kym said...

I'm sorry Gena...know that I will be thinking of and praying for you all!
Love you,
Kym

Kimberly said...

Gena, I am sorry to hear about your mauma. I remember her from when she used to go to church at College/Creekside church. She was so sweet and lively.

Anonymous said...

this is one of the best things you've written. it's beautiful.

Gina said...

Gena,
I am just now reading this, but I wanted you to know that I love you, and I think this is beautiful. You know you are like her - when I moved, you returned my Bible to me filled with surprise notes of encouragement and love. You know all these years I have kept them right where you put them because your friendship and love brings me such great joy every single time I am reminded of it.
I love you.
-The Other G

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers