Sunday, November 26, 2006

dry lands and Luke

i have been in somewhat of a spiritual dry lands lately. uninspired and very passive about too many things. not a good place to be. but God showed me something noteworthy the last two nights i tucked the kids in bed...

i wasn't in the mood at all to be spiritual much less teach. i didn't even feel worthy of reading to them considering the day i had. but God had mercy. he sent me to a scripture that lets just say "broke me" my cold heart warmed up just a bit...

the next night, after a day of going from ok to bad to worse again i sat with the kids ready or i should say not ready for another night of reading and prayer. i chose what i thought was something safe...the gospels. i knew the lessons Jesus taught too well. He wasn't going to break me tonight...i was just going to read and get on with my again cold heart. but God had something better in mind. He took me to Luke 11. i began thinking Jesus is teaching the guys about prayer, safe enough... i know about prayer, right?

so now again i sit crying, realizing two nights in a row God has been trying to get my attention while i have been determined with my sour, displaced attitude. i heard Him with so much force i had hope. it sounds a little silly but when you are in a bad place, hope makes you laugh. you could care less because your faith in thin. surely you have been here.

so i tried what this scripture suggests and i prayed. not the way i had been. the one's i had been offering were so emotionless and lacked spirit and heart. this prayer was my first prayer of faith -of true faith in days. i was direct with God, not wistful. and today i have this confession and vision again. i am coming out from the covers and more thankful than i have been all thru the past week of -dare i admit, thanksgiving.

i want to encourage anybody who is reading that may be in the dry lands to keep on reading the words from Jesus below. don't give up. don't underestimate God. just ask.
Luke 11...the message.
Ask for What You Need
1 One day he was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said, "Master, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples." 2-4So he said, "When you pray, say,

Father,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil."

5-6Then he said, "Imagine what would happen if you went to a friend in the middle of the night and said, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread. An old friend traveling through just showed up, and I don't have a thing on hand.'

7"The friend answers from his bed, 'Don't bother me. The door's locked; my children are all down for the night; I can't get up to give you anything.'

8"But let me tell you, even if he won't get up because he's a friend, if you stand your ground, knocking and waking all the neighbors, he'll finally get up and get you whatever you need.

9"Here's what I'm saying:

Ask and you'll get;
Seek and you'll find;
Knock and the door will open.

10-13"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This is not a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your little boy asks for a serving of fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? If your little girl asks for an egg, do you trick her with a spider? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing—you're at least decent to your own children. And don't you think the Father who conceived you in love will give the Holy Spirit when you ask him?"

10 comments:

Bevin said...

Wow! Im so glad that I came to your blog today. I feel like I have been in the same place for quite some time and what you said and read really hit home. Thanks Gena!

Meredith said...

This was a perfect way for me to start my day! Thanks for sharing so openly!

Holly said...

The "dry lands" are alive and well in Florida these days, thank you for the wake-up call.
Love you

Gina said...

Thank you - and it was a real blessing to see you! Love you!

Amy F said...

Why is it we end up in the desert before we cry out? It has always been so. I'm with you. That crying-out thing is so cleansing and it's so fun to see HIM work. I love you and pray for you every day.

Cortnie said...

thanks so much for sharing this yesterday, i am so happy God has brought you back to a better place, Love You!

Gina said...

What weekend are you coming to Montgomery? You know you and the kids are welcome to stay with us.

Gena said...

gina, we are coming Jan. 12 and 13 (friday and saturday) and we would probably do like last year and the girls stay with you and we'll send the boys somewhere else...
thanks for the invite!
we'll talk more later.

Scarlett said...

Gena, I have been in "the dry lands" also the past month. I think Satan is trying to convince me that I can get through the craziness of life without relying on God so much. I've gottent to where I'm not excited to come to worship, teach the kids, or even be as involved. My mind keeps wandering during church. I can't keep focused. I am going to start praying more often....I haven't talked to God in a while.

Gena said...

i think as friends we should do better about identifying when we are in these droughts. i am sorry to you scarlett because if i had been more sensitive i think i might have noticed you were different and then (hopefully) been able to help.
i am bad about hiding out when i am at my worst. can't blame anyone but myself for that. so at the same time i (we) should not be so...reluctant? to share when we are in bad places. God intended for us to be there for each other so if we haven't turned to Him yet maybe someone else can point up.

love you- i will pray for you.

Scribes for Scribblers

About Me

My photo
How we live our day is...how we live our lives. -Annie Dillard

Followers